Regular updates and news items on all things Badger related.
- Welsh Governments Vaccination Program Has now Been Cancelled, it started in June 2012.
- Program projected to run for 5 years initially.
- Results were Encouraging after 4 Years.
- 1st Year 1424 Badgers were Vaccinated 2012
- 2nd Year 1352 Badgers were Vaccinated 2013
- 3rd Year 1316 badgers were vaccinated 2014
- More Farmers in the IAA (intensive Action Area) were allowing Vaccinators onto their Farms.
- Numbers of New BTB incidents show a 26% decrease, between 2009-2013/14.
- Numbers of Cattle Slaughtered shows a 48% reduction in the same period.
- MOST IF NOT ALL OF THE DECREASE WAS DUE TO STRICTER CATTLE MOVEMENT ORDERS BOUGHT IN BY THE WELSH GOVERNMENT>.AND NOT A SINGLE BADGER CULLED.
- The BTB is still detected by the ‘Skin Test’ a not very efficient Test, something more positive is required, ‘Anergic’ cattle some times pass this test, yet when slaughtered for another reason prove to be ‘riddled’ with BTB lesions which have gone on undetected. These could only have been detected with an ‘Anti-Body Test’.
- IMPORTANT Welsh Government are running a ‘Found Dead Survey’
- Starting February 2015 – until date unknown. Contact: APHA (Animal & Plant Health Wales).
- tel.no. 0300-303-8268. A representative from APHA will come and collect the Dead Badger for Autopsy to determine whether or not BTB is present.
Yes, I’M Talking to You ! Blooming Humans